Our Opinion: Don’t be the student who cried “swine”

Got a midterm coming up? Want to get out of that awkward date? Whip out the swine flu excuse, a free pass to get out of virtually anything.

According to the Student Health Center’s H1N1 website, if “you develop fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose or other flu symptoms… you may be asked to contact or visit the Student Health Service, or self-care may be suggested.”

So why not conjure up a scratchy throat and mysterious fever to evade bothersome project deadlines? After all, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Student Health Center recommend that you stay home for at least 24 hours until the flu-induced fever passes, without the use of fever-reducing medicine. Think of all the things you could do with this free pass to H1N1 bliss.

Not only could you avoid unpleasant commitments (who likes class anyways?), but you could also catch up on important tasks, like reading the latest celebrity gossip and aimlessly browsing the web for hours instead of doing homework.

Everyone is so paranoid about the dangerous effects swine flu could have that we are not listening to common sense. Realistically, developing a small sniffle is not a warning sign for the dreaded H1N1. Still, slackers can use it to escape just about any obligation, since others are so fearful of becoming sick themselves.

Students looking to cry “swine” should at least recognize their use of a convenient situation and call upon their nursery rhyme knowledge.

Exploiting the trust of teachers, school administrators and peers could have unpleasant consequences in the future. Like the boy who cried wolf learned the hard way, honesty will better serve students in the event that they actually do become sick.

Pulling the swine card to get out of class could be helpful for a day or two to catch up on work or sleep but shouldn’t be abused.

What do you think about pulling the "swine card" when you're not really sick?

• I would not lie about being sick; it's dishonest. (45%, 20 Votes)
  • I would do it if I really needed the extra time for school work. (39%, 17 Votes)
  • Unsure. (9%, 4 Votes)
  • I would use just about any excuse to get out of obligations. (7%, 3 Votes)

Total Voters: 44

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...