Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis

On day three of the University of South Florida Fall Invitiational, Senior David Simon defeated the USF’s No. 3 Peter Frank 6-2, 2-6, 10-5 to compete for a six-way tie for third place along with junior Christian Blöcker.

The Hurricanes won two of three doubles matches on Sunday, as Simon and Blöcker knocked off USF pair Wael Kilani and Yoshizawa to improve to 4-2. Senior duo Barnabas Carrega and Hector Nieto earned their first doubles win of the season with an 8-5 victory over USF’s Alex Pukal and Juan Carlos.

On day two of the University of South Florida Fall Invitational, the Hurricanes won five singles matches and one doubles match. All-American junior Carl Sundberg emerged to No. 1 with a 6-3, 1-6, 11-9 decision over Louisiana State University.

LSU’s Sebastian Carlsson emerged as the singles champion, while UCF duo Marc Rocafort and Blaze Schwartz tied for the title in doubles to conclude the invitational.

University of Miami Athletics

For the second consecutive year, the Athletic Department has been nominated for the Suncoast Regional Emmy Awards occurring on December 5 in Orlando.

The two videos nominated for the 2009 awards were in the Outstanding Commercial and Outstanding Sports categories, “Alex Rodriguez Park” and “It Begins Here”, respectively.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...