Volleyball

Canes split ACC weekend matches

Even after two outstanding performances by sophomore Lane Carico, the Hurricanes split games against Virginia Tech and Virginia last week to finish the week 14-9, 7-6 ACC.

On Friday, Miami delivered ACC foe Virginia Tech’s first home loss of the year. Carico recorded 12 kills and five digs alongside sophomore Ali Becker’s nine kills and three blocks to lead the Canes to a 3-0 shutout road victory.

This was Miami’s third road win in four matches.

The Hokies (16-8, 6-7) troubled the Hurricanes in the second set of the match with four ties before key blocks from redshirt sophomore Christine Williamson and freshman Nrithya Sundararaman helped solidify the win. Two kills from junior Ariell Cooke carried Miami’s momentum from the second set to defeat Virginia Tech in the third, 25-18.

Yesterday, the Canes lost their fourth five-set match of the season to Virginia (10-14, 6-7) 3-2. Carico posted 21 kills and 23 digs in the matchup. Redshirt junior Lici McGee had a strong performance with 13 kills and three blocks, while Becker placed 12 kills and five assisted blocks.

However, the team could not close out the Cavaliers in the 15-10 loss in the fifth set. This was the second consecutive time that the Hurricanes lost a five-set match in Charlottesville.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...