CarFit makes driving easier

The last time University of Miami junior Danay Delgado was in the passenger’s seat of her uncle’s car, she noticed that he was sitting uncomfortably close to his steering wheel.

The Delgados plan to attend a UM-hosted event this weekend that aims to correct bad driving habits that affect drivers older than 60 years old.

“When I heard about the CarFit program, I thought we could all benefit,” Danay said. “Anything to prevent an accident.”

Consisting of a 12-point checklist, the CarFit program makes sure that seniors fit well in their vehicle, make simple adjustments and will have an occupational therapist on site to recommend local services that could make drivers more comfortable.

“The great thing about it [the CarFit program]is that it is fast, free and fun,” said Fran Carlin-Rogers, a national CarFit instructor. “You don’t hear that about anything these days.”

The entire process takes 20 minutes. Seniors who are interested in participating are encouraged to make appointments to shorten their wait.

“We really want it to be clear that this program is all about making drivers safer,” said Noreen Frye, director of UM’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. “Our program is not about taking drivers off the road; it’s about keeping them on it longer.”

Frye is the link between the national program and UM. This is the first time that the university will host this type of event. Although it is advertised as an event for seniors, everyone is welcome.

“This is a quick thing that everyone could benefit from,” Collin-Rogers said.“Students could bring along their parents and grandparents, and we will definitely take a look at their [students’] habits, too.”

Miami has consistently been ranked among the worst cities to drive in, so much so, that the Travel Channel is launching a new reality TV series on the subject, called America’s Worst Driver, according to travelchannel.com.

“You’d be surprised how many things people could change to make themselves safer drivers,” said Frye. “With so many accidents on the road, every little bit helps.”

The event will be Friday from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at 1550 Brescia Ave. For more information on how you can participate, contact the University of Miami’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at 305-284-6554.

Veronica Perez

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...