Canstruction competition brings the heat

UM’s Center for Urban and Community Design is hosting a “Canstruction” competition on Friday afternoon, pitting teams of students, faculty, staff and alumni against each other to design and build structures out of full cans of food.

When the contest is over, all cans will be donated to needy local families before Thanksgiving and the Coral Gables Museum will exhibit some of the pieces.

“There are more needy people nowadays,” said Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, dean of the School of Architecture and one of the event judges. “This is the second year we are involved and I hope this year will exceed last year’s success.”

The UM event is one of about 130 Canstruction competitions taking place in North America, Australia and other countries around the globe as part of a worldwide fight against hunger.

For the UM competition, the total number of cans will be distributed equally among the teams. The building will take place from noon to 2 p.m. Friday in the School of Architecture Courtyard and the judging will take place immediately afterward.

Brian Lemmerman, a graduate of the architecture school who is working on the competition, encourages all UM students to participate by donating at least three cans of food. The competition is not just for architecture students.

“It’s available to everyone and we need to know how many people are going to join so the dean can bring pizza,” Lemmerman said.

Anyone who would like to donate or participate should call the CUCD by 4 p.m. Thursday at 305-284-3439 or email blemmerman@arc.miami.edu.

People may bring their can donations to the event or drop them off ahead of time in the School of Architecture at Glasgow Hall, Korach Gallery, CUCD office or the Academic Services office.

UM senior Michael Geller, an architecture major who participated last year, is looking forward to the competition.

“Hopefully it’s going to be better than last year,” he said.

Nikolaus Rizos

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...