YOUniversity of Miami: Halloween edition

Halloween is a defining time for college students. When we were kids, this sacred night meant pounds and pounds of free candy, followed by the year’s biggest tummy ache the next morning. As we grew older, we left cavities, trick or treating and apple bobbing behind, and began moving towards pranks, parties and horror movies. Now that we’ve reached college, what is the proper way to celebrate, especially at the U?

Costumes have always been, and will continue to be, a big part of Halloween, though their purpose is a bit different now. Before, the aim was to finally dress up as Spiderman or a cowboy in public, and not be laughed at. Now, however, the purpose is to wear the costume that will get you noticed and that people will remember the next day.

Guys always try to have funny costumes, and you can spot the successful ones from a mile away. I still laugh when I think about the guy who dressed up as Sean Connery doing Celebrity Jeopardy. Girls, we know what 99.99% of your costumes will be, and as a guy, let me thank you. Nurse? No. Slutty nurse? Yes! Devil? No. Slutty devil? Yes! Grandmother? No. Slutty grandmother? Still no… please.

So once you pick your costume, what is there to do? The Grove is one giant party, and for freshmen, this is definitely something to do before you graduate. South Beach is an experience too. If partying isn’t your scene, there is still some horror left in Halloween! Go see a scary movie at Sunset Place, go on a ghost tour of Miami or head to Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios. We’re in Miami! There’s always something to do.

These four years at college will be some of our best and will leave us with our fondest memories, and Halloween will almost certainly be among them. Whether that memory is raging in the Grove, passing out in a club in South Beach, waking up in a different costume than you put on (been there) or finding out that it may be too soon for a Billy Mays costume, I can almost assure you that you will cherish (whatever you can remember from) this night!

YOUniversity of Miami is a column taking a closer look at the many people that make UM their home.

Evan Peskin is a sophomore majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...