Think before speaking

The biggest buzz kill after a day of relaxation is hearing about other people’s workloads. I abhor hearing others’ work schedules arbitrarily because it makes me self-conscious about how much (realistically how little) work I’ve accomplished, and in turn I feel guilty.

When one spews off his or her duties, the goal is to make the listener appreciate how hard the person is working towards his or her goal. Instead it just leads to ambivalence and eventually frustration.

Certainly, someone has to get on the soapbox and complain about all the injustice in the world, but sometimes it’s taken to an extreme. Where am I going with this?

Re-think what you’re going to belt out to the world, and if it’s not productive, then maybe keep it to yourself. Chances are the annoyances you want to let everyone know about will become an additional annoyance to otherwise innocently content bystanders. But, on the other hand, a mutual stance concerning crappy matters could result in a cathartic, empowering effect.

I recognize that this article could, ironically, be a prime example of unnecessary banter, but I hope the point has at least been illustrated.

Evan Seaman is a junior majoring in marketing. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...