Our Opinion: “Illegal alien” costume satirical, not offensive

A bright orange jumpsuit with the words “illegal alien” plastered across the front in bold type, a space alien mask and a plastic “green card” are the three components to a Halloween costume that created a storm of controversy.

Released by Forum Novelties Inc., the costume was intended to be a play-on-words for Halloween-goers with a sense of humor. However, advocacy groups took the costume seriously, denouncing it as racist and offensive.

Brent Wilkes of the League of United Latin American Citizens feels the costume is demeaning.

“These costumes say, ‘These people are not human, they are aliens,’” he said in a USA Today article by Marisol Bello.

As a result of the strong backlash, many stores and web sites, like Toys ‘R Us, Target and Amazon.com, have taken the costume off their shelves.

However, Halloween is a time to poke fun at society. The costume is meant to be a funny representation of a current issue with which the U.S. must contend, not a statement against the humanity of illegal aliens.

The illegal alien costume is a form of political satire, which was clearly not recognized by advocacy groups. It is not even factually correct, since a green card means an immigrant has legal status in the U.S. This just further proves the point that the costume was created in jest, and is not to be taken seriously.

Are police officers or nurses offended when girls dress in promiscuous versions of their uniforms for Halloween? No. Also, if the illegal alien costume is apparently so offensive, why are naysayers not equally condemning those who don Halloween outfits satirizing Obama?

Halloween is the one time a year when anything goes. Those offended by the illegal alien costume should learn to take a joke.

Edtorials represent the majority opinion of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

What do you think about the "illegal alien" Halloween costume?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...

Head coach Aljosa Piric announces 2019 fall slate. ...

Miami women's basketball team dominated its final game in Italy by defeating the Venice All Sta ...