Fashion 4Word: Halloween edition

redslippers

flickr.com

As All Hallows’ Eve approaches, college coeds nationwide prepare for the craziest, most outrageous night of the year. Halloween is the one time each year to try on a different persona and take fashion risks without repercussions… because after all, it’s just a costume, right? So pull out those fishnets, walk with swagger, and take a look at these hot 2009 Halloween trends. So what will it be Miami, trick or treat?

Come-Hither Costumes– Don Draper and Miley Cyrus

Trying to appeal to Halloween temptresses? Dress as the ultimate ladies’ man, Don Draper of Mad Men. Pointers to pulling off this costume: look fabulous in your suit, strut around with extreme confidence and turn your smoldering gaze on every female you see.

For those ladies looking to get in touch with their inner pole dancer, dress as Miley Cyrus from her 2009 Teen Choice Awards performance. Don’t forget the black booty shorts, transparent tank, and high-heeled boots. Carry an iPod speaker blaring “Party in the U.S.A.” for added effect.

Icons of the Past– Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett

Pay homage to favorite stars of the past by dressing in their iconic styles. Try out Farrah Fawcett’s retro Charlie’s Angels look by styling your hair in her fabulously feathery way. Grab some high-waisted bell bottom jeans, or wear her famed red swimsuit.

Strike a pose in Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” costume. The shiny red pants and jacket are quite a Halloween fashion statement. Complete your Jackson look with the signature black fedora hat, white glove and excellent dancing skills.

Trekkies and Red Slippers– Star Trek and The Wizard of Oz

Who knew Star Trek could be sexy? After this summer’s blockbuster hit, girls and guys alike flaunt their shape by sporting body-skimming suits. Think your look is equal of those on the Starship Enterprise? Take the ultimate test and try Spock’s Vulcan salute.

Celebrating its 70th anniversary this year, The Wizard of Oz is sizzling for Halloween and provides a variety of costume options. Dress as the character you love to hate, the Wicked Witch of the West, or choose from old favorites, like the Scarecrow or Tin Man. Hot, updated versions of these looks are perfect for group costumes.

Orange and Green, and Blood Red– Glitter Girls and Vampires

A recent hallmark of Miami football games, the orange and green glitter girls have started a trend of their own. Make your own sparkling debut, and cover yourself from head to toe in the dazzling colors of both Halloween and your favorite football team. You’ll be sure to turn some heads in the Grove on Saturday night.

From True Blood to Twilight, vampires are hot. Slip on your own blood-sucking ensemble to get in on this popular look. With a range of different costume styles, from Victorian to modern vampire guises, you’ll be able to find the perfect outfit worthy of the living dead this Halloween.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...