Student spends time at UM while her hometown recovers from tragic quake

The University of Miami’s undergraduate population boasts 10,000 culturally diverse students.

However, few can say their UM application process was spurred by an earthquake.  Valeria Ranalli can.

Her home city of L’Aquila, Italy was devastated by the Apr.  6, 2009 earthquake that killed 300 and left 28,000 homeless.

Courage allowed Ranalli to not only survive the quake that collapsed the 800-year-old apartment building she and eight friends were in, but also to travel 5,220 miles to the United States for the first time with only her friend and fellow survivor Eleonora Rasicci.

Despite limited English-speaking skills, she is extremely grateful for the “dream come true” opportunity the National Italian-American Foundation (NIAF) and UM exchange collaboration have given her.

“Reaching out to our partner university in this dark hour was very important to us.” said Elyse Resnick, Assistant Director of UM’s International Education and Exchange Program (IEEP).  “Thanks to the UM/NIAF collaboration, the Universita degli Studi dell’Aquila students will be able to continue their education in Miami for one semester while their community rebuilds.”

Ranalli’s room, meal plan and airfare expenses are paid for by NIAF while her home is rebuilt.

Ranalli fully embraces her new surroundings.

“It is a breath of fresh air, everything from the student-professor relationship, to how the university truly revolves around the student as an individual.”

She explains how the university life here differs drastically from that of Italy, which focuses solely on classes and tests, not extracurricular activities.  An enthusiastic writer, Ranalli hopes to improve her English-speaking skills and perhaps pursue her longtime dream of working in the record industry.  This dream is something that she has never fully considered because of the limited possibilities offered by her country in this field.

American boys are another aspect of life in the United States that fascinates Ranalli, who says it is refreshing to see such well-rounded, active males.

Although intrigued by the many differences between the U.S. and Italy, her ability to easily adapt to new environments plays a crucial role in Ranalli’s life.

“ If it were not for the lack of Italian food, I would say that I’m really beginning to feel at home here,” Ranalli said.

Tasha Giuda

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...