QuantUM produces Pippin, offers options for theatre enthusiasts

Their motto is “theatre by students,” and this year marks the 10th anniversary of QuantUM, an extracurricular theatre production group on the University of Miami’s campus.

Founded in 2000, QuantUM represents a student-run musical production group open to all UM students.  On their website, the group says, “QuantUM does not only seek to entertain, but also to inform and raise awareness about pressing social justice issues.”

In their latest effort, QuantUM will open the musical production of Pippin on Thursday, Nov. 12, which will run until Nov. 22. The production will be held on campus at Hillel, with free admission to the public.

The lead character of Pippin will be played by sophomore Eric Reinemann, while the ‘Leading Player’ will be played by sophomore Erica Schiff.

“This show is all about interaction with the audience and having fun while trying to find yourself,” said Stephanie Wesdock, stage manager for Pippin.

Wesdock describes the environment of this particular production as “fun and relaxed.”

“My favorite part about Pippin is the energy of the cast and how hard everybody is working,” said Rachel Hyman, a freshman and new member of QuantUM.

So why do students join QuantUM? A consistent response is their overall passion for musical theatre. Students who are involved in QuantUM are able to work in all areas of the production process, including but not limited to acting, design, directing and writing.

“I love performing. It is definitely my passion first and foremost so it’s the lights, the costumes, the music, and the audience that really does it for me,” sophomore Kathleen Molinaro said.

When asked about how being involved in QuantUM’s productions affects overall schedules, Molinaro said “they are very understanding and flexible. Bottom line, we’re done at 11 at the absolute latest, you can still go out.”

While a passion for theatre is consistent among those who join, qualifications are not required.

“I really believe that everyone should have access to theatre regardless of their level of past experience or what they plan to do with their lives,” said Jane Pryjmak, head of QuantUM.

Robin Segal

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...