Boxer strives to break into professional world

University of Miami graduate Christina Swanson picked up boxing as a way to stay in shape after finishing a college speed swimming career at UM. Swanson trains at Fight Club in Downtown Miami with coach Luis Lagerman. "I can't let my mind wander or I'll get hit. I plan to stay an amateur because in professional boxing, the gloves are smaller and you're more prone to head injuries," Swanson said.

University of Miami graduate Christina Swanson picked up boxing as a way to stay in shape after finishing a college speed swimming career at UM. Swanson trains at Fight Club in Downtown Miami with coach Luis Lagerman. "I can't let my mind wander or I'll get hit. I plan to stay an amateur because in professional boxing, the gloves are smaller and you're more prone to head injuries," Swanson said. Brittney Bomnin // Photo Editor

Between the bings of the bell, marking the beginning of each new three minute round at the Fight Club gym in downtown Miami, amateur boxer and 2004 University of Miami graduate Christina Swanson works out with her professional boxer boyfriend, Wilky Campfort.

Formerly a swimmer with Olympic aspirations, Swanson now works as a lifeguard on Miami Beach and spends her time sparring with the hopes of breaking into the world of professional female wrestling.

“She has the aura of a fighter; she just has it in her,” co-worker and firefighter Lester Ealey said.

Swanson transferred to UM from Washington State University and gave up swimming after a serious shoulder injury her senior year. After graduation in 2004, Swanson moved to California to live with her older sister Ana. Swanson started training with one of Ana’s friends, an amateur female fighter. Three months later, she wrapped her hands for her first fight.

“I’m not the type that can just work out, I need a goal… I need competition,” Swanson said.

Swanson grew up outside of Seattle, Wash., on Bambridge Island with her parents and sister. Her family said she’s had competitor’s blood from the start.

Twenty-five years before Swanson took to the ring, she lost her first fight against her sister. Ana emerged victorious when she came at her sister with a pen box. Ana was four. Swanson was two. Her family often replays a video of the fight to embarrass Swanson, whose record today is 17/9.

In 2005, a few months after her first amateur fight and loss, Swanson won her first fight at the California Golden Gloves Tournament. She then moved back to South Fla. and continued fighting. She had a career highlight in 2007 when she took home the National Golden Gloves Championship belt in Hollywood, where she currently lives.

Swanson is now a Miami Beach lifeguard and has just completed her training at the City of Hollywood Fire Academy, where intimidated male trainees refer to her as “The Swansonator.” Swanson still finds time to train five times a week.

But Swanson said it’s difficult finding females willing to face her. Without a proper match-up, professional promoters won’t sign her to fights, a hurdle Swanson must overcome in order to enter the further regulated pros. Swanson has been waiting for a pro fight since March.

“Locally, it’s hard to find girls at my level, so that’s what’s frustrating…training and training and having no fights,” she said.

Swanson said she takes an emotionless approach to fighting, staying unattached in the ring and not allowing herself to think about the fight until immediately before. Unfortunately, her level head doesn’t keep her loved ones from pacing anxiously during fights.

“It’s the worst thing ever,” Campfort said of dating a female boxer. “I get way more nervous for her than when I am fighting.”

“I cried at her first fight,” Ana said.

Luckily it’s getting easier for Swanson’s loved ones to see her take punches because Swanson said she has a couple years left in the ring.

Danielle Alvarez

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...