Football

Canes lose in sloppy fashion

Clemson celebrates their victory over Miami. Christina De Nicola // The Miami Hurricane

Destiny is out of the University of Miami hands and it’s back to reality.

For the third straight time the Miami vs. Clemson matchup went into overtime. The road team has one every time as the Tigers beat No. 8 Miami 40-37 Saturday at Land Shark Stadium.

The game featured 12 lead changes and both teams combined for 843 yards of total offense.

Miami (5-1, 2-2) committed 11 penalties and blew coverages all game. Clemson wide receiver Jacoby Ford caught a 26 yard pass from Kyle Parker in overtime as the Tigers (4-3, 2-1) knocked destiny out of the Hurricanes hands. The Canes will need Virginia, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech to lose in order to have an opportunity to play in the ACC title game.

Miami scored a on a 22 yard field goal in overtime after tight end Tervaris Johnson ran the wrong ran on 3rd and goal from the six yard line. He kept running instead of stopping.

Sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris finished 17-for-27 with 256 yards passing and two touchdowns but he did throw three costly interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown.

Clemson running back CJ Spiller was everything as advertised and more. He returned a kickoff for a touchdown for an ACC record in his career. The 90 electrifying run was with 46 seconds left in the first half. Miami special teams blew and assignment as the coaches called for one play and the players called for another. Matt Bosher later replaced Alex Uribe on kickoff duties.

The Canes face another Atlantic division foe next weekend as they travel to Winston Salem to battle Wake Forest.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com

Justin Antweil

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...