Sparkle and shine: UM’s Glitter Girls

Sophomores Lauren Lococo and Alex Goldklang attend every home game, sitting front row in the student section covered in glitter. The die-hard duo commits to four hours of preparation before each game to make sure they stand out among the crowd. Courtesy of Emily Wingrove

On Saturday at 3:30 p.m. there will be a spotlight on two sophomores and their names are not Jacory Harris and Sean Spence.

A TV camera pans to the cheering crowd in the stands and then stops suddenly on two students aglow in orange and green. Who are these Glitter Girls, and how can they possibly wear all that art?

Sophomores Lauren Lococo and Alex Goldklang, suitemates who live in Pearson Residential College, spend approximately four hours glittering up their entire bodies for each home football game. And that means giving up tailgating beforehand because these super fans have to shoulder their way in line to get front-row seats in the end zone in the student section.

“We just want to make people excited and we want to support the team,” Goldlkang said.

The girls face many obstacles along the way. Lococo and Goldklang have to buy their materials, apply them, drive to the stadium and wait in line for first-come, first-serve seating.

Fortunately, Lococo and Goldklang have gained enough popularity that fellow students help by saving seats so they can be near the “Glitter Girls.” The pair also gets repeated requests for pictures, not only with students, but also with Miami natives and alumni too.

Matthew La Pan is a senior who has sat near the Glitter Girls. “Even though I get covered in glitter when I sit near them, at the end of the day these girls are the perfect women: they love football,” he said.

Lococo finds it easy to have so much school spirit because she was born and raised in Miami as a Hurricane fan. She even got a U tattoo before she was accepted into UM.

“Lauren educated me on the UM history and it was really easy to get into it,” said Goldklang, who is from New Jersey. She also knows something about football: her father was a linebacker at Duke University.

Both girls came up with the idea to begin the glittering and it has turned out to be a bonding experience. This is the second year the girls have been glittering, but they have received much more attention this season, perhaps because the Hurricanes have given fans a lot more to cheer about.

With new fads and fashions, there is always a risk of getting copied, but Lococo and Goldklang are not worried about that.

“I don’t think people will copy us because I don’t think they’d have what it takes to commit to this,” Goldklang said. “I even doubt myself sometimes.”

When all the fun and excitement is over, the girls still have to think about how to remove the multitude of glitter from their face, neck, arms and legs. It takes more than an hour to remove most of the glitter, but unfortunately for the girls, some of it never seems to disappear.

“Even after I wash myself, it’s still there,” said Lococo, “It’s in my car, my bed, everywhere!”

The Glitter Girls leave such a thick trail of glitter that they have been banned from the buses that take students to the game. The girls say they spend an average of $30 per game, which includes gas, parking, food and of course their secret recipe for putting on the glitter masterpiece.

Lococo and Goldklang say that they will continue to attend every game. And when they graduate, they plan to pass down the ritual to two prospective freshmen to take over the responsibilities of the Glitter Girls.

Emily Wingrove may be contacted at ewingrove@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Wingrove

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...