Rat menu reflects storied history

Mark McDermott eats a mini corndog at the Rathskeller. The Mini McDermott Corndogs were named after McDermott who worked at the Rathskeller and graduated from the University of Miami. Photo Illustration by Tanya Thompson

Glancing over the menu at the Rathskeller is a routine part of nearly every student’s life at the University of Miami. But few question why there’s a “Donna’s Garden Burger,” a “Kenny’s Buffalo Chicken Sub,” or the mysteriously titled chicken sandwich, “The Bergman.”

There’s a noticeable mix of names from former employees to esteemed members of the staff to UM landmarks.

“It started with the UM landmarks, then it moved to faculty members who we wanted to honor,” Everett Price, general manager of the Rathskeller, said.

Yet it wasn’t until the invention of the Kitchen Posse Pita that the young employees of the Rat got a chance to namesake their creations.  The dish, a pita filled with grilled chicken and the customer’s choice between a number of sauces, was created in-house at the Rat, by an employee who wished to remain anonymous.

“At the time, everyone was using the word ‘posse,’ so it became the Kitchen Posse Pita instead,” Price said.

After the opportunity was left open to employees to create their own foods, more and more names began to appear on the menu.

One of these names was the Mini-McDermott Corn Dogs, named after eight-year employee Mark McDermott.

McDermott, a student to UM from 1996-2003, was the kitchen manager at the Rat when he thought of putting the mini corn dogs on the menu.

“We were getting these little corn-dogs from the Rathskeller Administrative Board (RAB) for football events,” McDermott said as he swung from an orange glider outside the Rat and munched on his own namesake doused in ketchup.

“I thought they were pretty different, so I suggested they be on the menu.” Yet McDermott, standing at 5’5 ½”, insists they were not named after him because of their size.

“They were mini already!” McDermott said.

So how good are the mini corn dogs?

Senior and avid Food Network watcher Kelley Rafferty puts the minis to the test.  Closing her eyes, she bites into a McDermott fresh out of the kitchen.  Rafferty puts the rumors to rest in one word: “heavenly.”

The employees who are fortunate enough to find their name on the menu are those who contributed to the success of the Rat as a whole.

“We want to give our employees a sense of ownership to the Rat,” Price said.

McDermott, now an employee at the T.G.I. Friday’s across from campus, agrees that the menu items give meaning to those that have come and gone in the past.

“I’m still recognized when I come back here…and sometimes even over at Friday’s!”

Alicia Abalo

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...