Pro-life club active on campus

Anti-abortion supporters joined the Life Chain along the east side of US1 and Stanford Drive during Respect Life Sunday held nationwide Oct 4. Members from two on-campus  anti-abortion groups, Catholic Students Association and UM Respect Life, voiced their views by waving posters and banners at passing cars, some of which honked back in support. "This is the first time UM Respect Life is part of the Life Chain. It's a part of our work on campus, which includes supporting pregnant mothers as well as outreach and education," JP Volz, President of UM REspect Life, said. Brittney Bomnin //  Photo Editor

Anti-abortion supporters joined the Life Chain during Respect Life Sunday held nationwide Oct 4. Members from two on-campus anti-abortion groups voiced their views by waving posters and banners at passing cars, some of which honked back in support. Brittney Bomnin // Photo Editor

On Oct. 3, a group of University of Miami students took part in something bigger than themselves. They’re used to the feeling, though; they’ve been doing it since last year.

Members of UM Respect Life and UM Catholic Students Association along with other people from all walks of life took to US-1 and Stanford Drive to defend the rights of the unborn. Waving banners and posters at passing cars, they were part of a bigger movement to bring awareness to their cause.

“The campus has a very anti-life stance,” said senior Joao Pedro Volz. “The counseling center only offers planned parenthood as advice. A lot of the club’s mission is to help change that in the school and provide aid for pregnant students.”

UM Respect Life takes part in and organizes other events in order to bring this national debate within the borders of the UM campus. The 2008-2009 school year was their first year as an official organization. The two founding members, Laura Basulto and Kelsey Hazzard, were originally part of the Catholic Students Association.

According to their website, they “are a student-run, pro-life organization committed to educating the campus about issues such as abortion and the death penalty.  In particular, [they]are concerned with making abortion alternatives easily accessible to any student who finds herself facing an unplanned pregnancy.”

“We’re very concerned with the amount of aid available for pregnant students on campus,” said junior Laura Basulto, secretary for UM Respect Life.

In order to do so, they remain active in the community through the myriad of events they sponsor. Their Facebook group boasts over 50 members and 30 comments.

According to Basulto, anywhere from 25 to 30 students attend their weekly meetings on Tuesdays at 8 p.m. at the University Center.

“We discuss any new bills or issues and how we can bring awareness to the campus,” Basulto said.

Their efforts and involvement in UM and the community at large were recognized when COSO awarded them the 2009 Student Organization Achievement & Recognition (SOAR) Award for Best New Student Organization. Not only does this award honor them, but it also supplements their funding with $200.

“We didn’t really think we were going to win,” Volz said. “We didn’t even show up to the awards’ ceremony. It was a big surprise to us, really.”

Volz attributes the win to how active they were. Last year, they sponsored close to 20 events to promote awareness of their cause and alternatives to abortion. They sponsor bake sales, controversial film screenings and guest lectures, all to get students more involved.

This year already they have sponsored close to five events, including a screening of Juno on Sept. 29, as well as a “Prenatal Development Exhibit” on the Rock sparking the debate of when life begins inside the womb.

Last year, a similar event drew many including President Donna E. Shalala, who called their display “good for discussion,” according to their Facebook group.

“We asked students to grab a little sticker and place it where they thought life begins,” Basulto said.

In the works is an event which will feature a series of cards containing facts about common myths lining the walkways around the “Green.” According to Volz, they are also planning on bringing Rick Stout, award-winning director of Demographic Winter: The Decline of the Human Family, to campus and screening the documentary.

In January, they traveled to Washington D.C. for the March for Life and Students for Life of America conference in time for President Obama’s inauguration as the 44th President of the United States. They will attend again this year. “The most important thing is that we’re not a religious group,” Basulto said. “We welcome students of all religions.”

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...