Modern writer Michael Chabon speaks at Books and Books

Have you and reading had a breakup?  After cramming for orgo and reveling at Monty’s, many students have no interest in relaxing with well-crafted literature. After being force-fed James Joyce, Joyce Carol Oates and William Shakespeare in high school, many students that still like to read prefer James Patterson and Stephenie Meyer.

For those willing to give the written word a second shot, try Michael Chabon.  The Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay does something many of his colleagues don’t: incorporate the elements of plot and excitement into his stories.  Inspired by comics and pulp fiction from days gone by, his genre-based fiction runs the gamut from “Highwaymen in the Holy Land” (a condensed summary of his book Gentlemen of the Road) to the struggle to complete a sophomore novel, all the while incorporating a distinctly Jewish vibe.

The latest stop on his junket tour brings him to Books and Books in Coral Gables Friday night.  He’ll be signing his latest, Manhood for Amateurs, as well as giving a reading.  There is a ticketed, VIP-type event prior, but the free public event starts at 8 p.m.  Be sure to get there early, though, because it will likely be hard to find a seat.

Who: Pulitzer Prize winning writer Michael Chabon
What: Book signing and talk

Where: Books and Books, Coral Gables

265 Aragon Avenue

When: Time: Friday, 7:30 p.m.

Cost: Free

Ben Cathey

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...