Masquerade Ball a new addition to Homecoming 2009

For Homecoming 2009, time-honored traditions will mix with new additions that promise to “rock U like a hurricane.”

As part of the first day festivities, a masquerade ball – planned by freshmen and primarily geared towards them – will take place following the opening ceremony on Oct. 30. Although it emphasizes and encourages freshman attendance, it is open for all students.

According to Billy Fuchsman, chair of the 2009 Homecoming Executive Committee, the idea for the masquerade ball was born last year, but due to time and funding constraints, it was left for this year’s homecoming.

“We made the decision last spring and decided to leave the planning to a freshman committee,” Fuchsman said.

According to Mary Elizabeth Barron, one of the vice chairs for the 2009 Homecoming Executive Committee, this is the first time that a Homecoming event is planned solely by freshmen. The Freshman Committee worked closely with the Executive Committee to plan an event that would appeal to their class and make them feel involved in the Homecoming festivities.

“We wanted to get freshmen involved,” Barron said. “We wanted to attract them to Homecoming and have them get involved in an organization.”

“It’s a way for them to feel involved in an event they would want to do,” Fuchsman said.

Originally supposed to be held on the Bank United Center’s Field House, it has now been relocated to the Rathskeller.

“We decided it would be a better student venue,” Barron said.

The event starts at 10:30 p.m. and goes until 2 a.m. Food will be provided free of charge to attendees, but Cane Cards will be checked prior to admission.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...