Hoop there it is

Sports season is in full gear.

Last night the men’s and women’s basketball teams began their 2009-2010 seasons as each practiced and scrimmaged in front of fans at the BankUnited Center for Hurricanes Hoopsfest.L

“This is great for us,” men’s basketball head coach Frank Haith said. “This was our first public appearance in front of people. I thought our guys handled themselves well. The young kids were really good.”

This was the first opportunity for Haith to showcase another stellar recruiting class in front of the orange and green faithful. One of the stars of the scrimmage was redshirt sophomore Malcolm Grant, a point guard who sat out last year according to NCAA rules after transferring from Villanova.

Last year the Canes were without a true point guard, but Grant will look to orchestrate the UM offense.

“I’m so excited to get on the court,” Grant, a Brooklyn, N.Y., native said. “Last year was really tough for me not being able to play but I took a positive out of it and saw the game in a whole new way. I was a vocal leader and now I’m ready to control the offense and get my teammates in good rhythm shots.”

The womens team’s head coach Katie Meier brought in five new recruits. Of note is McDonald’s All-American Morgan Stroman. Stroman will look to complement sophomore sensation Shenise Johnson.

Johnson was the only player in Division 1 to lead her team in scoring, rebounding, assists and steals last year.

Attendance to the free two hour event was sparse.

Senior Dylan Brooks enjoyed the action on the hard court, but was disappointed with the turnout.

“It was really cool to see all the new faces on the teams but the lack of support from the fans took away from the energy.”

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...