V's Take

Dear V: ‘Scream’ is not my favorite movie

My roommate is a screamer.  She’s a great roommate and one of my best friends, but whenever her boyfriend comes to our apartment, I am traumatized by the noises of their passionate lovemaking.  I’d hate to interfere with their relationship, and I don’t want to get into an argument with her either.  How can I deal with this problem?  I’m losing sleep!

Sincerely,

Annoyed

Dear Annoyed,

In any relationship, one must learn to pick and choose their battles.  Whether it’s a lovers’ spat, or a beef among friends, engaging in pointless arguments can cause quite the strain.  But it sounds to me like your roommate already has you wearing pretty thin.  This is a conflict that I think is worth settling.

Your roommate and her boyfriend should be free to enjoy their sex life.  But of course, you don’t need to know just how much they’re enjoying it.  Sex should remain something that they share with each other—and not you.  They have made their “lovemaking” part of your business, and you are certainly entitled to your peace and quiet (and sleep!) inside your own home.

Speak with her when you are both at home and her boyfriend isn’t around.  Remember that she is a good friend to you, and approach her with the expectation that this matter can be settled civilly.

Fortunately, while this is just a hunch, your roommate seems like she might not be too embarrassed about her sexual encounters.  Therefore you should not feel too embarrassed in approaching her.  Calmly (but confidently) tell her that her and her boyfriend are being too loud.  And not only is it awkward for you, you can’t sleep! Reasonable enough, right?

There are always two sides to each argument.  Your roommate may or may not be completely willing to turn down the volume, so be prepared to compromise if necessary.  You can offer to let her know when you won’t be in the apartment, or if you’re feeling extra generous, give them a date night to do what they need to do.  Plus, they could always go to his place.

Do not allow her to sexile you under any circumstance.  Not only is it rude, it is so freshman year!  You’re both better than that.

Best of luck!

Advice Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...