‘Where the Wild Things Are’ a gorgeous, empty version of classic

Where the Wild Things Are should be untouchable. One cannot improve perfection, and that is precisely why Maurice Sendak’s classic children’s book has thrived since its publication in 1963. Spike Jonze’s film – a long-gestating live-action adaptation – looks beautiful yet sucks the joy out of Sendak’s story. A more fitting title would be Where the Disaffected Hipsters Are. Jonze may have made this film with Sendak’s blessing, but it just doesn’t feel like the book young adults know and love.

The original book only has nine sentences yet manages to say so much about a young boy’s anger and confusion. Sent to bed without his supper, the young Max creates a magical world in his own room in which wild monsters live, and he is declared king.

He dances with the wild things in a “wild rumpus” and growls, yet he becomes homesick and goes home. It is sparse and sweet and something that no one should try to improve upon. Yet Jonze, best known from Being John Malkovich, expanded the plot so much that it is almost unrecognizable.

The problem lies not with the performances but rather Jonze’s direction. The storyline is almost unintelligible, especially for those who have never read the book, and he more than drives home the point that Max is unhappy, alienated and extremely lonely. The film is unnecessarily scary in a way totally unbefitting of the tone of the book.

Max Records is fine as Max, and the wild things are voiced by some of the best actors of our time. James Gandolfini, Chris Cooper, Forest Whitaker and Catherine O’Hara are all great, and the wild things look spectacular. Their dialogue, however, is some of the most emo language heard onscreen in recent memory. In fact, every character in the film looks and speaks like they could have been pulled off the streets of Williamsburg.

There’s a reason that the film and Urban Outfitters have a marketing partnership. The entire film, from the Karen O-provided soundtrack to the ironic, pseudo-intellectual storyline, just reeks of debasing a classic. Jonze’s adaptation is nowhere near as glaring a bastardization as Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, yet it’s not the book our generation knows and love. Do yourselves a favor and pull out your copy of it. It’s far more magical than this.

Rating: 1/4 stars

Starring: Max Records, James Gandolfini

Directed By: Spike Jonze

MPAA Rating: PG

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...