Football

Berry-ed in the depth chart

Junior running back Damien Berry during the game against FAMU. Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

It’s time for junior running back Damien Berry to get some meaningful carries.

Berry, the 5’11,” 217-pound bruising back, has proven he needs to get a legitmate shot to play against meaningful opponents. Berry was a highly regarded safety coming out of Glades Central. Last year he moved to running back where he saw majority of his time helping Canes prepare for opponents on the scout team. He was named 2008 Scout Team Offensive Player of the Year.

Berry had his break-out performance in the spring game where he rushed for 114 yards on just 14 carries. He was named Spring Game MVP.

He patiently waited the first four games as the Canes played four top 25 teams.

Last week against Florida A&M, Berry made the most of his opportunity. He marched all over the Rattlers, accumlating 162 yards on 14 carries.

Let’s not forget Berry has a football pedigree too, as he is the son of Kenny Perry, a defensive back who played for UM from 1987-1989.

So what else does Berry have to do? When I asked head coach Randy Shannon Wednesday morning, he quite simply said “practice.”

Last year, former running back Shawnbrey McNeal transferred to Southern Methodist University after not seeing ample playing time. Let’s hope that does not happen to Berry.

After his performance Saturday night, the humble Berry credited the offensive line. Although they did a fantastic job, Berry made some electrifying runs as he eluded numerous tackles.

“Damien has done a good job all year,” Tommie Robinson, the running back coach, said. “He capitalized on his opportunity. If you are a football player, you are a football player. He is a good kid. And let me tell you, FAMU was one of the toughest teams we’ve played thus far. They have some athletes and what you see on paper is not always how it plays out on the field.”

So let’s not waste a valuable commodity. A dominant run game pushes the linebackers and safeties up and opens up the pass game. If Berry can implement himself in Mark Whipple’s dynamic offense, the sky will be the limit.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiaimhurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...