Sports Briefs

Baseball

Head coach Jim Morris and recruitment coordinator J.D. Arteaga yesterday announced the No.9 ranked 2009 recruitment class for the Hurricanes. The 13 member class includes six who were taken in the Major League Draft, including standout switch-hitter infielder Stephen Perez (18th round/Cincinnati Reds) and pitcher E.J. Escinosa (23rd round/ Minnesota Twins) from Gulliver Prep and Coral Park High School, respectively.

Junior Chris Pelaez and sophomore Rony Rodriguez will be entering the program from Miami Dade College

“We are very excited about this recruiting class,” Morris said, according to hurricanesports.com. “J.D. really put together a great incoming class. It’s very, very important that these guys come in and make an immediate impact on our team.”

Cross Country

Junior Charles Michel has been named the ACC Performer of the Week after his performance at the Walt Disney World Cross Country Classic in Orlando this past weekend. He ranked 18th out of 205 participants in the race.

“It is a huge accomplishment for Charlie to be recognized as the athlete of the week,” said assistant cross country coach Damon Griffiths, according to hurricanesports.com. “His dedication and work ethic this summer has allowed him to make major strides this season.”

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...