Others more worthy of Nobel Prize than Obama

I can’t understand why we allow a band of incompetent Vikings to form a committee that confers one of the highest honors in the world. Honestly, the Nobel Peace Prize? That’s it?

We’re talking about the Wonderful Wizard who is going to single-handedly rescue the global economy and write a thrilling autobiography after the conclusion of his eight-year mission. Why wouldn’t they honor this man with a Nobel Prize in Literature and Economics?

Can you imagine Obama’s future autobiography? You know, his third. The masterpiece that will inspire every man, woman, and child to be the change they want to see in the world. Not only will it inspire, it’ll be exquisitely written! Now, as I gaze out over the darkening sky over Lake Osceola, I quiver with anticipation for the radiant tomorrow that Obama will bring.

Unfortunately, we must all endure the fact that the savior of humanity only won the Peace Prize. Although 2009 was the year with the most Peace Prize nominations in history, no person deserved it more. Certainly not Hu Jia, a Chinese human rights activist who has been jailed by the Chinese government for her “subversive” activities, or Morgan Tsvangirai who, despite repeated attempts on his life, managed to get the ruthless dictator of Zimbabwe, Robert Mugabe, to share power. People (who might as well not be named) like Paul Farmer and Krisana Kraisintu shouldn’t be recognized for their incredibly successful efforts to reverse HIV epidemics in the Global South.

Obama will likely send 40,000 more troops to Afghanistan and was unable to close the Guantanamo Bay detainment facility. Nevertheless, his successes on the international stage demonstrate he is a true peace hero. Obama has recently taken a novel, controversial position regarding nuclear weapons. He daringly proposed to the UN that we make it more difficult for terrorists to access nuclear materials. Unlike his predecessors, Obama has made clear his aim to limit nuclear proliferation.

The president is clearly an improvement over his predecessor when it comes to multilateralism. It should probably be noted that almost any Democrat elected would appear black to Bush’s white, when it comes to not acting like a boorish bonehead. Still, could they pull it off with Obama’s style? Next year, I submit Miss America’s name in nomination, for taking such a courageous stand on the issue of world peace.

Josh Kornfield is a sophomore majoring in international studies and political science.
He may be contacted at jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...