V's Take

Dear V: I don’t want to say hello to my roommate’s little friend…

I am a freshman guy who is fortunate enough to be getting along well with his random roommate. But there is one thing:  every so often I wake up in the middle of the night to the sounds of my roommate whacking off.  When it happens, I don’t know what to do so I just lay there and pretend like I’m still asleep. It seriously creeps me out, and I can’t take it anymore. What can I do to keep this from happening again without making things weird between my roommate and me?

Sincerely,

Petrified

Dear Petrified,

Welcome to college!  I’m sure you were prepared to study for your classes, but did you know that this is when you also get to learn how do deal with some of life’s most  delicate social situations?

My stance on masturbation is no secret. It’s a healthy habit. But really, it should be kept during one’s own time.

While I give your roommate props for his shameless self-discovery, I realize that of course, you feel uneasy! Privacy is tough to come by while living in the dorms, but it is something that both you and your roommate are in dire need of.

I too find your situation to be a sticky one (no pun intended). On one hand, you have the right to feel comfortable in your own living environment, but then again, a simple confrontation would likely create tension between you and your roommate.

You’ll have to be a little tricky while dealing with this delicate conundrum. You can send hints to your roommate without actually telling him that you know why he has that extra little spring in his step.

Try making up a fictional friend. Tell your roommate that this friend had woken up to his roommate masturbating in the middle of the night and add, “Wow, that would be so awkward!”

Doing something like this should suffice to make your roommate feel bashful enough to stop having his own intimate moments with you in the room. But he still won’t be completely sure that you’re onto him.

Hopefully both you and your roommate can better acquaint yourselves with each other’s schedules, so that each of you can enjoy your private moments while actually being alone.

Best of luck!

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...