The More You Drink, The More You Workout

Photo Illustration by Brittney Bomnin

Photo Illustration by Brittney Bomnin

Drinking beer, often associated with large bellies and rough mornings, has now been linked to increase exercise in a study head lead by Dr. Michael French, a professor of health economics at the University of Miami.

The goal of the study was to determine if alcohol consumption was directly related to the number of minutes of physical activity in which individuals partake during a typical week.

“I expected the results to be an inverted U, meaning light and moderate drinkers would exercise more and heavy drinkers would exercise less,” French said. “Instead, there was a linear relationship. The more people drank, the more they worked out.”

French conducted this study to further explore previous literature published in the Journal of Health Economics.

This prior research verified that one drink a day for women and two drinks a day for men reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and is considered health enhancing.

Published in the September-October issue of the American Journal of Health Promotion, French’s study found this drinking-exercising connection by analyzing the 2005 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, a annual phone survey of 230,000 Americans.

“This is one of the first, if not the very first time that heavy drinking has been linked to a positive message,” he said.

French said that he does not want this study to be misconstrued. While this report  has positively correlated heavy drinking with vigorous physical activity, he also warns of the dangers of binge drinking.

“Heavy drinking is linked to many negative outcomes, including DUI and multiple health and social problems,” French said.

Junior Tara Cochran, an avid gym visitor, was surprised to hear the results of this study.

“I work out all the time and don’t drink very often, but when I do drink I tend to either skip the gym the next day or not get such a quality workout as I’m used to,” she said.

However, junior Jessica Weiss’s actions are more consistent with this study.

“I definitely feel more obligated to go to the gym after a night of drinking beer,” she said. “I’ve got to burn off those extra calories!”

French urges everyone to keep in mind that this isn’t a cause and effect relationship.

“Definitely don’t drink more in hopes that you will start working out more,” French said.

Ali Kitenplon

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...