Sports Briefs

Football

Hurricanesports.com is reporting that this season has proven to be one of the most successful for television ratings for the football team. They have played in four of ESPN’s top six most viewed games in history. This year’s Miami vs. FSU rivalry game was the third most highly viewed football game ever.

Cross Country

The Hurricanes participated in the Walt Disney World Cross Country Classic at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla. The men’s team sent a seven runners to the competition, a season-high. Junior Charles Michel finished ranked at No. 18. For the women, sophomore Ana Bona finished in 24th place.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

The swimming and diving  team began their season at Atlanta this past Saturday with a 0-3 record, falling to Western Kentucky, Clemson and Georgia Tech. No divers went to the meet, and the Canes lost many points in the final score, even after first place finishes by freshman Sofia Johansson in the 100-yard breaststroke, junior Ryann Labreche in the 1000-yard freestyle, and junior Annika Saarnak in the 100-yard butterfly, the 100- and 100-yard free style.

“The girls swam amazing,” stated UM swimming head coach Christie Shefchunas, according to hurricanesports.com. “We had so many great swims today and I think it truly set us up for a great season.”

The team will next swim in Fort Myers, Fla. For a tri-meet against Florida Gulf Coast and ACC rival Florida State.

Women’s Volleyball

On Friday, the Canes fell to ACC rival Duke University 3-0 away at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C. This is Miami’s fourth ACC loss.

Miami will next play on Friday, Oct. 16 at Boston College at 7 p.m.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...