Our Opinion: A revolt of silence

The University of Miami has a problem: a talking problem. But more specifically, a “I love the sound of my own voice” problem. Now, I’m sure some of these compulsive speakers have beautiful voices and a plethora of important information to bestow upon us all. We just have yet to meet one of them.

For example, at a Committee on Student Organizations (C.O.S.O.) “S.O.S. Workshop,” all sorts of UM officials discussed in length each possible, minuscule, pointless detail of every ridiculous, unlikely to occur, circumstance a student organization could encounter.

Some of their points might have had relevance to the leaders sitting in the room. However, they were lost among trivial chatter about car rentals, and the difference between car pooling and driving to an organization’s event on your own. Not one of the speakers could use one concise, pertinent example to clarify a point in their presentation on risk management, business services or purchasing. Instead, they used five rambling anecdotes that raised more questions rather than providing answers.

This frustrating issue is not limited to never-ending speakers. Everyone has suffered through a situation with a professor, RA, or even fellow student who just won’t shut up.

So, we have a proposition: let’s lead a revolt, a revolt of silence. Encourage those talkaholics to discover the miracle of email, the art of PowerPoint or just the possibility that their speech isn’t really that important. And if it is, it can more than likely be found on the internet.

So sssshhh Miami, you’re giving me a headache.

Have you encountered people at Miami who just never stop talking?

• Unfortunately, yes. (77%, 41 Votes)
  • Unsure. (13%, 7 Votes)
  • No. (9%, 5 Votes)

Total Voters: 53

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...