Organicarte: Bringing more Hispanic Culture to UM

For artist Tiffany Madera, art devoid of color was not really art at all.

Without the representation of the Latin and Caribbean peoples, it lacked a multitude of deep brown, yellow, beige and red skin tone hues.

To answer that deficiency, Madera, a Cuban American, created Organicarte, which brings Latin American and Caribbean arts and artists to the University of Miami in 2008.

Organicarte, a word she coined, presents interactive programming such as workshops by native Peruvian sculptors, dance and spoken word performances, and film series to incorporate art into the study of Latin America and the Caribbean.

“I would love for students to take away from each event deeper aspects of themselves and their community,” Madera said.

During Hispanic Heritage Month, Organicarte is now presenting a two-part Latin American Film series on both Human Rights and Cuba at Cosford Cinema.

The series includes films such as “Hidden Scars,” a movie about Guatemalan torture survivors exiled in the United States and “Celia the Queen,” a documentary about the Cuban salsa sensation’s life.

Designed to give students an interactive interface with the artists, Madera said that Organicarte seeks to bring different people together and create unexpected and fruitful spaces for dialogue.

On Oct. 12, Organicarte will screen “Poto Mitan,” a film about Haitian women and the global economy, at Cosford Cinema at 7 p.m. It will be accompanied by a Q&A session with the film’s co-producer and co-director Mark Schuller.

“The director is going to be in the midst of people who are active in Haitian organizations and organizations that empower women’s rights,” said Daniella Suarez, a 22-year-old Latin American Studies graduate assistant. “So, he may talk but he’s also going to learn from the audience and learn what their concerns are.”

Organicarte is also planning a major Cuba-Haiti ethno-conference in March 2010, which Madera said would give a comparative look at Cuba and Haiti through an insider’s view of the two cultures.

Students from the Ciné Institute, Haiti’s only film school, will come to Miami for a week and pair up with UM counterparts.

Suarez said that together the students would create documentary films to change the negative foreign perception of Haiti’s future.

The ethno-conference will also incorporate performance poetry and photography.

Despite the center’s Latin American namesake, Madera said CLAS includes the Caribbean, as Haiti remains a relevant part of Organicarte and the Miami community.

Haitians account for the second largest immigrant group in Miami-Dade County, according to recent U.S. Census Bureau statistics.

“Part of the challenge is to educate people past stereotype, past ‘exoticized’ images of Latin American and the Caribbean,” said Madera, “And, you know, the truth is, it’s very, very complex.”

Through another Organicarte program, the “Distinguished Speakers Series,” in the spring 2010 semester, UM and FIU professors will trade campuses and speak on social, political and foreign themes.

Organicarte programming is free and open to students across all disciplines with most events open to the public. Although the events are diverse, their objectives are the same.

“The whole point of Organicarte is to break through barriers,” said Suarez. “To not have one side of things, and that’s the whole point of art in general. You can’t interpret art in one way and say that’s the correct way.”

Ariel Brown

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...