V's Take

Dear V

I’m 21 years old and I’ve never had a boyfriend. I hadn’t even ever kissed anybody until six months ago when I got fed up and asked some guy at work to make out with me just so I could see what it was like before I died. Then, this past summer I met an amazing guy who was everything I could have wanted, except obviously not, because I came back to Miami and now he’s 2,000 miles away and not my boyfriend. I go to parties every weekend, know everyone in my classes (pretty much the same people every semester anyway), and am very social, and I get a lot of guys telling me that they like me, but I have not found one guy here who I am interested in. I have, in the past, gone on dates with some of these guys who liked me who I didn’t like at first, just to give them a chance, but the only thing that has ended up happening is that they liked me more, I liked them less, and then I get pseudo-stalked for a few months. Look, I’m not necessarily trying to find someone who’s brilliant, hot, speaks four languages, cooks, appreciates art, plays piano, has traveled around the world, is getting his PhD, knows how to have a good time, and is rich (like the last guy…) but I don’t know where I’m supposed to find a guy who’s even somewhat mentally, visually, and otherwise stimulating. I’ve thought about joining random clubs that I’m not already in as an attempt to meet more people, but what good would it to be to join a club I don’t like, just to find someone who is into something that I’m not into at all?

Any advice?

It sounds to me like a lack of game is not your issue.  And your self-esteem seems to be in check.  But you do present some pretty specific details when it comes to the kind of guy that you’re “not necessarily trying to find.”

It is often said that when you’re ready to start exploring your sexuality, you’ll know. I find some truth in this statement.  In fact, it appears that you are ready.  Yet, the fact that you feel that 21 is too old to just be getting started has you a little nervous.  You might be worried about having waited so long, only to experience your firsts with someone who wasn’t truly worth it.  And I bet this has really caused you to set some high standards.

Nobody is perfect. I think you’ve proven to yourself that finding reasons not to do something seems a lot easier than getting your hands dirty, taking a risk, and trying new things.

While it is good to have standards (i.e. treats you with respect, makes you smile, et. cetera), replacing high-strung specifics like “speaks four languages” with an open mind might leave you pleasantly surprised.

Relax.  There is no need to be on the prowl for Mr. Perfect.  After all, you’re only 21.

Best of luck!

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...