Football

Canes not Rattled

Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

What trap game?

The University of Miami Hurricanes defeated Florida A&M 48-16 Saturday night at Land Shark Stadium in front of 47,859. FAMU (4-1) scored a field goal on its opening drive but Miami (4-1) would respond by scoring on five of its first six possessions.

Sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris finished the evening 16-for-24 with 217 yards passing and two touchdowns. He also threw two ill-advised interceptions as he only played the first half. True freshman A.J. Highsmith saw his first collegiate action and went 3-for-3 with 38 yards passing.

Highsmith had an easy job handing the ball off to fifth-string running back, junior Damien Berry. Berry, the spring game MVP, rushed for a career-high 165 yards on just 14 carries.

“The o-line was blocking great,” said Berry, who was one of six different Canes to score a touchdown. “I thank the coaches for everything they have done to get me to this point and prepare me to be ready to play in the game.”

Redshirt freshman Tommy Streeter led all receivers with three catches for 55 yards.

Sophomore Thearon Collier returned a 61-yard punt for a touchdown. It was UM’s first punt return that resulted in a score since junior Graig Cooper returned one 66 yards against Charleston Southern in the season opener last year.

The Canes play the University of Central Florida on Saturday night at 7:30 p.m.

Justin Antweil may be cotacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...