Benjamin takes title of ‘Best Hair’

Travis Benjamin sports dreads on and off the playing field. He was voted "Best Hair" by his teammates.  Brittney Bomnin // Photo Editor

Travis Benjamin sports dreads on and off the playing field. He was voted "Best Hair" by his teammates. Brittney Bomnin // Photo Editor

With four consecutive nationally televised games to start the season, the Miami Hurricanes spent plenty of time in the spotlight showing off their young talent.

But just as important was the opportunity for them to showcase their trademark hairdos.

After asking 16 players and official team barber Steven Rivera about the best head of hair on the team, it was sophomore wide receiver Travis Benjamin’s long dreads that look the prize.

“It feels good because you have players come up to you and be like, ‘Man, you’ve got to cut your hair so I can have the longest hair on the team,’” the Belle Glade, Fla., native said. “I just sit there and laugh. Everybody wants to have dreads now.”

Benjamin said that he hasn’t cut his hair since the eighth grade, but is considering cutting it next year if an opposing player tackles him by his dreads.

That’s something that has yet to happen in a game, though.

“He’s the only person I’ve seen who doesn’t get pulled by his hair,” sophomore linebacker Sean Spence said. “It’s probably because he’s moving too fast. He also ties it too.”

The wide receiver’s signature dreads are pulled back in a “ponytail” by an orange ACE band. Teammates like sophomore cornerback Brandon Harris take advantage of Benjamin’s promise during practice.

“He says he’ll never cut his hair so we play with it on purpose and grab on it when hanging on,” he said.

So who does Benjamin believe poses the biggest competition to steal his crown?

“Olivier Vernon has a nice mohawk. Every game, every week, he’ll have a different kind of style of mohawk so if I had to do that, I’d get a mohawk,” he said.

On the other hand, Benjamin knows for certain that he would never sample junior running back Graig Cooper’s and freshman safety Vaughn Telemaque’s blonde streaks.

“I guess they think it’s a certain kind of style,” he said. “I won’t ever do blonde.”

While the high-profile position players seem to care more about their hair, others like senior offensive lineman Jason Fox get a kick out of their teammates’ concern.

“I’ll give it to Travis Benjamin because he looks like Jar Jar Binks. If I score that many touchdowns I’ll put a wig on or something,” said Fox, who caught a touchdown on a trick play during the Florida State game last year.

Harris, who has an interception and a league-high 10 pass breakups so far this season, doesn’t mind that it takes some of his teammates 20 minutes to get their hair ready for games.

“I know who’s crazy about his hair the most: Travis. He loves his hair,” he said. “I don’t care what kind of hairdo he has. As long as he keeps performing like he’s performing, it’s fine with me.”

Poll results

Travis Benjamin: 5

Olivier Vernon: 4

Graig Cooper: 1

Levi Paalua: 1

Jacory Harris: 1

Vaughn Telemaque: 1

Ryan Hill: 1

Undecided: 3

To vote for your favorite football player hairdo, click on “Polls” under the “Extras” tab on The Miami Hurricane’s homepage.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...