Our Opinion: Crack a smile to reduce stress

Late at night before a deadline, stress and panic set in. Feeling like you’ll never finish your project or be ready for your exam, you understandably freak out. Your roommate tries to offer a reassuring word, but you just snap. This is the precise situation students should try to avoid in the midst of midterm season. It’s important to balance all your work with a little fun, and remember that having a sense of humor can help you through these trying times.

Studying for hours without a break is not the most effective strategy. Still, many students believe that an extended date with their textbooks will somehow cement the information. However, it is impossible for anyone, even those Adderall pill-poppers in your neuroscience class, to focus for that long.

A short break is a great way to reward yourself for your hard work. Catch up with friends and swap witty stories, or pop in your favorite comedy DVD. Try watching funny online videos (try Mad TV’s “Bon Qui Qui” sketch for a good chuckle). Laughing releases hormones in your brain that help you deal with stress, and the act itself has a cathartic effect. Taking the time to do something fun, and to give your brain a break, will allow you to better retain information and keep your sanity intact.

When things go wrong, as they inevitably will at the worst time possible, cracking a smile can help you cope. Laughing allows you to momentarily remove yourself from the situation and to determine the best course of action. After countless days filled with studying, realizing you still have five more chapters to cover could put you at your wit’s end. Finding irony in the situation and having a laugh allows you to react in a positive way and move on. A short guffaw could be the release you need to continue studying and achieve those straight A’s.

The weeks ahead will be a tough time for all. Keeping things light, staying positive and humoring stressful situations will hopefully aid students in surviving the hectic midterm season.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

What do you think about midterm stress? Answer our poll on themiamihurricane.com homepage!

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...