Miami vs. FAMU Matchup

Quarterbacks   Advantage: Miami

Jacory Harris struggled from the beginning of the Virginia Tech game until the second quarter of Saturday’s game vs OU. He got back on track though, throwing for three touchdowns and completing passes to 11 different Hurricane receivers. The Canes should be wary though of Rattlers mobile quarterback Curtis Pulley. He leads the team in rushing.

Running Backs            Advantage: Miami

When you have a “Thunder and Lightning” combo like the Hurricanes do, its hard to pick against them. Javaris James scampered for 150 yards on only 15 carries vs OU, and helped seal the game with his key run on first down. Graig Cooper has been valuable as a receiver, returner and running back this season.

Wide Receivers           Advantage: Miami

The Hurricanes have seven different receivers averaging more than 10 yards per catch this season. This is one the deepest group of wide outs in the country.

Offensive Line            Advantage: Miami

The offensive line just like every other member of the Hurricanes had a rough week against a tough Virginia Tech defense. They did a much better job against a tough Oklahoma defense to keep Jacory Harris upright, and also paved the way for Javaris James to rumble for 150 yards.

Defensive Line            Advantage: Miami

Oklahoma ran for 153 yards against the defense, but only averaged 3.6 yards per carry. The team also sacked Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones three times, one of which forced a fumbled and led to a touchdown.

Linebackers     Advantage: Miami

Colin McCarthy has been a monster since coming back from injury, and Sean Spence regained the form he showed last year as a freshman by registering 10 tackles vs OU.

Defensive Backs         Advantage: Miami

The Canes only allowed OU quarterback Landry Jones to throw for 188 yards and one touchdown, after he lit up Tulsa and Idaho State for a combined 622 yards and nine touchdowns. Brandon Harris has quickly proven himself to be one of the better corners in the ACC.

Special Teams             Advantage: Florida A & M

The Rattlers senior kick returner Leroy Vann currently leads the FCS in punt return yardage averaging 24.6 yards per return with four touchdowns. He’s also averaging 25.4 yards per kickoff return.

Coaching         Advantage: Miami

Randy Shannon has the Canes back on track after many doubted how he’d fair in the first four games. Offensive coordinator Mark Whipple has given the Canes a balanced attack on offense with some excellent play calling, especially at the end of the OU game.

Eric Hahn may be contacted at ehahn@themiamihurricane.com.