Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: India article spot-on

I read the piece published about the prejudices against India, and I have to say that I was truly impressed and pleased that this article came out.

I feel as though there has been a “Slumdog Millionaire effect” that has arisen after the movie came out, resulting in jaded views on India and Indians. After seeing the movie, many people came up to me and asked me which slum in India I lived in and which form of “Indian” I spoke. First of all, not all Indians live in slums, which the article in your paper pointed out, and Indian is a nationality, not a language. It would be like if an Indian director made a film called White Trash Winner and everyone in India thought all white people lived in trailers.

A lot of people don’t understand that we have to walk a mile in people’s shoes before we judge. Kudos on the article.

-Chhaya Nene, sophomore

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

Women’s soccer World Cup champion Megan Rapinoe urged University of Miami students to fight for equa ...

Engineering and business professors met with officials from the City of North Bay Village and Miami- ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...

Shannon McCarthy and BIIK Kazygurt are set to face off against FC Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champion ...

The Hurricanes got a much-needed conference win Friday night over Virginia. Now Miami looks to build ...

Kristina Fisher registers her 17th career assist to move into second on the program's all-time ...