New iPhone app makes Zipcar easy

As of Sept. 29, 2009, iPhone or iPod touch users no longer need to visit zipcar.com or call the company by phone to reserve a car.

Instead, they can simply download Zipcar’s new app, which allows users to find and reserve Zipcars with just a few touches of their iPhone or iPod.

Now available in the iTunes store, the app is free of cost and available to both members and non-members of Zipcar, the world’s largest car sharing service.

The University of Miami currently has nine Zipcars available to students, located in front of the Wellness Center, the Mahoney-Pearson residential colleges, and at the Miller School of Medicine.

“Going online could be difficult and if you need to reserve on the go it would be easier,” sophomore and former Zipcar user Tory Gilliam said.

Those who are not paying members of the Zipcar service can use the app to see which cars are available for use in their area.

Paying members can not only reserve cars using the app but also sort cars by time available, car type and model, as well as locate his/her reserved car by honking its horn with a touch of the screen.

The App even allows members to lock and unlock reserved cars.

According to the iTunes App Store, the Zipcar app currently has an average rating of 3 out of 5 stars, based on over 2,000 user ratings. It is only compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch OS 3.0.

“Like so many urban dwellers today, more than 25 percent of Zipcar members live their life from their iPhones. The new Zipcar App. . .allows millions of iPhone and iPod touch users to have on-the-go access to Zipcars around the globe,” Scott Griffith, chairman and CEO of Zipcar, said in a press release.

Kari Scharf

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...