New iPhone app makes Zipcar easy

As of Sept. 29, 2009, iPhone or iPod touch users no longer need to visit zipcar.com or call the company by phone to reserve a car.

Instead, they can simply download Zipcar’s new app, which allows users to find and reserve Zipcars with just a few touches of their iPhone or iPod.

Now available in the iTunes store, the app is free of cost and available to both members and non-members of Zipcar, the world’s largest car sharing service.

The University of Miami currently has nine Zipcars available to students, located in front of the Wellness Center, the Mahoney-Pearson residential colleges, and at the Miller School of Medicine.

“Going online could be difficult and if you need to reserve on the go it would be easier,” sophomore and former Zipcar user Tory Gilliam said.

Those who are not paying members of the Zipcar service can use the app to see which cars are available for use in their area.

Paying members can not only reserve cars using the app but also sort cars by time available, car type and model, as well as locate his/her reserved car by honking its horn with a touch of the screen.

The App even allows members to lock and unlock reserved cars.

According to the iTunes App Store, the Zipcar app currently has an average rating of 3 out of 5 stars, based on over 2,000 user ratings. It is only compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch OS 3.0.

“Like so many urban dwellers today, more than 25 percent of Zipcar members live their life from their iPhones. The new Zipcar App. . .allows millions of iPhone and iPod touch users to have on-the-go access to Zipcars around the globe,” Scott Griffith, chairman and CEO of Zipcar, said in a press release.

Kari Scharf

The northeastern Italian city, built in a lagoon and growing increasingly more susceptible to sea le ...

Climate scientist Katharine Mach is researching ways to adapt to our changing climate, including how ...

Thomas J. Meade, the founder of four biotech companies, launches the Frost Institute of Chemistry an ...

Frost School of Music’s Opera Program set to debut production of “L'enfant et les sortileges.” ...

During the second workshop, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership created a brave space for s ...

Mike Harley arrived in Coral Gables as a high school All-American expected to make an immediate impa ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team secured its third win of the season on Sunday, ...

University of Miami sophomore Brevin Jordan was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the 2019 ...

Behind a dominant second-half showing that featured 11-of-15 shooting from deep, the Miami men' ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The University of Miami rowing team closed out its fall slate on Sunday at the ...