Ditch the “water-cooler gossip”

(NOTE: *Evan Seaman, Contributing Columnist)

For the last time, and I really hope the last, I can confirm Kanye West is an inconsiderate jerk. He robbed a thriving teenage star of her one (really, just one?) night of glory. Let’s not lose sleep over it though.

Also, this just in: people don’t enjoy feeling the heat of the poor economy. Someone is going to win the upcoming football game, and someone is going to lose. Could I be any more generic, standoffish and disposable?

Let’s cool it with spreading “water-cooler gossip.” It’s fine if that’s the silly, trivial talk of the day amongst a few friends, but local radio station affiliates should not devote two hours of airtime to caller feedback about Kanye. That’s the type of thing for which we have Twitter and Facebook. I can scan others’ stances on insignificant matters and quickly close out the browser if I find myself yawning over the content, but I can’t turn my ears off from the blaring radio at the pool.

The Internet and media outlets are great sources for receiving information before it becomes ubiquitous, but it’s been taken to an extreme. I am no fan of Kanye’s actions either, but I’ll continue to live without being flustered in the slightest. Whether you wake up actively deciding to boycott the rest of his work is irrelevant; he’s been soaring at the top of the charts for years.

The media knows what makes you tick and what makes you groan. Any publicity is good publicity today. So how can we defeat it as a group of conscious, intelligent human beings? Advocate indifference; it’s the best way to make the high tides of “water cooler gossip” pass.

Evan Seaman is a junior majoring in economics. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...