Football

Canes cannot get ‘rattled’

Is there such thing as a trap game when the team you are playing has a better record than you?

Even though the No. 11 Hurricanes (3-1, 2-1 ACC) are a 38-point favor to win against Florida A&M (4-0), a Football Championship Subdivision team, the Canes have to concentrate on executing and not taking the Rattlers for granted Saturday night at 7 p.m.

“Florida A&M is a good football team,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “We can’t take them lightly. We must remember Appalachian State and Michigan, Middle Tennessee [State] and Maryland.”

The Hurricanes are coming off an enormous win after knocking off then-No. 8 Oklahoma, 21-20. The focus will fall on the Hurricanes to remain steadfast and not allow Florida A&M to disrupt a great season so far. Florida A&M has nothing to lose against Miami.

“I told the players that a lot of their players feel they should be at Miami,” said Shannon, who defeated Charleston Southern 52-7 last season in his only game against a FCS team. “They’ll come out with a purpose [to show]they should be at Miami, not Florida A&M. There will be a lot of support in the stadium for Florida A&M.”

Miami leads the series against FAMU, 6-1. The last time the Hurricanes played the Rattlers they beat down FAMU, 51-10, in 2006. The Canes gained 339 rushing yards that season and senior running back Javarris James picked up 75 of those yards and scoring twice as a freshman.

“If our running game is going it makes the passing game a lot easier,” Shannon said. “Javarris starts running the football, the linebacker, safeties have to come up. It can be really scary if you run the football like we did the other night.”

FAMU finished the month of September with a perfect record for the first time in 12 years. They are averaging 33 points a game.

But Florida A&M has not seen any competition like they will see from Miami come Saturday evening.

“We have to worry about FAMU,” said linebacker Sean Spence, who had tied a career-high in tackles last week with 10 total. “The Oklahoma game is over with, we have to move on.”

Two key factors the Hurricanes have to worry about will be the play of Florida A&M senior quarterback Curtis Pulley, and a very dangerous return man in senior LeRoy Vann.

Pulley, who is a duel-threat quarterback, has connected on seven touchdown passes this season while leading the team in rushing with 291 yards.

Vann has already returned four punts for touchdowns.

However, if offense coordinator Mark Whipple and quarterback Jacory Harris move the ball with ease against FAMU, Vann will not see any punts come his way and will not be a factor.

This will be the first week of the season the Canes are facing a team that isn’t ranked and will look to come out with a blow out.

“We made a statement against Oklahoma,” offensive tackle Orlando Franklin said. “It is time for us to keep building and building on our season.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...