Bigger is better, studies say

These days, it seems that you can’t pick up a single magazine without reading a reference to weight loss promising a more attractive body.

Is there any hope for overweight women?

“There is speculation that the number of ‘fat admirers’ is growing,” University of Miami lecturer Dr. Franklin Foote of the psychology department said.

A recent study by researchers in the United Kingdom’s University of Westminster and the University of Newcastle supports the existence of these so called “fat admirers.”

The study found that 47 out of 111 men reported attraction to heavier partners. Their ages ranged from 18-67.

The men rated the attractiveness of ten women pictured in tight leotards varying from emaciated to clinically obese.

Previous studies have shown that “fat admirers” make informed judgments about attractiveness independent of health perceptions and sometimes these men are on the heavier side themselves.

It was no surprise then, that the “fat admirers” in the study preferred the photograph of the heavier woman. The control group rated skinnier women as more attractive.

Surprisingly, though, “fat admirers” also gave higher scores than the control group when rating the emaciated figures.

“This might suggest that the ‘fat admirers’ reject societal standards of preferred weight in general,” Foote said.

Irene Daboin

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...