YOUniversity of Miami: Frat guys

Evan Peskin, Staff Columnist

It’s not hard to pick out the typical frat guy: popped polo collar, pre-frayed hat (how do hats get frayed?), doused in cologne and rockin’ those dark sunglasses in the middle of the night for that killer Facebook pic. However, this is just one breed in the species of frat guys. Don’t let the one guy who thinks he’s heaven’s gift to the ladies of Miami stop you from rushing a fraternity, or spending some quality time with one of the brothers.

Guys join frats for many reasons. Some have family legacies in certain fraternities, others want to always have a place to go and drink and still others find themselves attracted to the laid back and pleasurable lifestyle. There is a fraternity to fit every style if you want to be involved in Greek life.

I didn’t think I was cut out for a fraternity when I came to the University of Miami. I wasn’t an enormous muscle head, nor did I think wearing three polo shirts simultaneously, all with popped collars, was cool. However, I took the time to attend rush events and meet some of the brothers of almost every fraternity on campus, and I found a fraternity that was my fit. All the brothers treated me like a friend and there was always something going on at the campus house if I had nothing to do. They enjoyed a vigorous social life, and their pledges didn’t get sodomized. That’s four for four on my checklist.

Girls seem to have a different opinion of frat guys. I have heard a hundred times from my female friends that “all frat guys are only trying to get in your pants” and “they are all jerks.” Those types of guys make up a very small percentage of all fraternity members, no larger a percentage than you’d find out around the campus in general. Ladies, just so you know, guys might occasionally, once in a while, perchance, think about sex. Just thought I’d give you a heads up.

Honestly though, most frat guys are just typical college guys. They enjoy beer pong, watch football and yes, hit on girls. But so do all guys! I know those three things were on my to-do list since I was 15, long before I joined a frat.

Here’s the bottom line: not all frat guys fit the stereotypes you see on TV and in movies. So guys, look for a frat that fits your preferences, and girls, give those frat guys a chance. After all, this is college… bro.

YOUniversity of Miami is a column taking a closer look at the many people that make UM their home.

Evan Peskin is a sophomore majoring in psychology and pre-med. He can be contacted at evanpes@aol.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...