Volleyball

Volleyball splits weekend matches against ACC opponents

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=81″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” wmode=”transparent” /]
Sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico returns a shot against the Yellow Jackets Sunday. Carico established a new school record for kills (36) in a match Friday evening as the University of Miami volleyball team dropped a 3-2 win to Clemson University at the James L. Knight Sports Complex. Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

Even with a packed stadium and an electric atmosphere, the University of Miami volleyball team lost to Clemson University 3-2 Friday night at the James L. Knight Sports Complex, falling to 1-3 against ACC opponents.

The Hurricanes jumped out to a 7-2 lead in the deciding fifth set but lost the frame 13-15. The defeat was the sixth of the year for Miami, matching their loss total for all of last season.

On Sunday, the volleyball team rebounded in another five-set match, defeating Georgia Tech 3-2. The Hurricanes (9-6, 2-3) again took a commanding 10-4 lead in the deciding fifth set. This time, however, they did not relinquish the advantage and won the frame 15-9.

Head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch did not allow her team to forget about the disappointing finish to Friday night’s match and made a point of reminding them during a Georgia Tech timeout during Sunday‘s fifth set.

“We said look, we’ve been here before. This match is nowhere from over, and we have to really be disciplined and every person on our team has to just do their part,” Welch said. “Sometimes we get too excited and we just had to settle down…people made key plays, the plays that they needed to make to get us through.”

The victory came as a relief to the Hurricanes. It was the second time in three weeks they failed to win a match in which they held a 2-0 set advantage. The other meltdown occurred on Sept. 19th against the University of Notre Dame during the Seminole Tri-Match in Tallahassee, Fla.

Despite the loss sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico collected 36 kills, a UM school record.

“I just want to do whatever I can to help the team and it doesn’t make a difference however many kills I get,” Carico said. “Everybody on the team has to play well for us to win.”

If the Hurricanes hope to turn their season around they will have to do so on the road. Their next four matches will take place away from Coral Gables, including a trip to North Carolina this weekend to play against Wake Forest and Duke.

The next time Miami plays at home will be on Oct. 23, where they will face off against the University of North Carolina at the Knight Sports Complex.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...