Sazon Festival at the UC

Latin culture was brought to life last Tuesday at the University of Miami UC patio as Hispanic Heritage Month continued with the Sazon festival, a celebration complete with free Latin music and food provided by on campus organizations.

The Hispanic Heritage Month Committee, along with groups like the Alliance of Latin American Students and the Council of International Students and Organizations, prepared the Sazon festival.

“Hispanic Heritage Month is really important just for a showcase,” Senior Thalia Cordon, one of the chairs for the Sazon festival said. “We’re hoping students take the time to celebrate what it means to be Hispanic. That’s food, culture, music, dancing, and colors!”

Cordon and her Sazon staff of over 15 people have been planning this event since last semester.

They decorated the event with red and yellow balloons, ordered food from a Latin family restaurant, La Bamba, among other places, and hired the band Latin Beat to really set the mood with upbeat music that could be heard throughout the UC.

For the day the UC patio made a transformation and became the center of the party.

“We are all poor college students and we’re giving free food,” said Cordon laughing.

Students sprawled across the patio raved about the traditional Latin cuisine, which included croquettes and flan, although some shyly admitted that they had no idea what they were eating.

As the event continued a few couples even got up from their seats and began dancing to the festive music.

“This promotes diversity,” Freshman Parker Barnett said. “It’s really cool because I don’t think any other school would have something like this going on.”

Even though volunteers at the event admitted that the heat might have kept some students away, they were very happy with the turnout.

“This is really related to the Spanish culture in Miami,” UM Grad Student Hossein Tootoonchi said. “We have lots of communities here and you can see it.”

According to Cordon those communities aren’t limited to the Cuban culture. The event included volunteers from Salvadorian, Puerto Rican, Guatemalan, and Peruvian backgrounds.

Rebecca Lattanzio

Contributing EDGE Writer

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center’s 18,000-square-foot fitness room named in honor of Norm ...

University of Miami theatre arts students and faculty members come together for a whirlwind day to c ...

The #SuperCoralPlay campaign combines education and outreach with research and restoration efforts t ...

The Miami men's basketball team will play its fourth top-15 opponent in a six-game, 18-day span ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a spectacular performance in singles play Monday to con ...

Miami women's basketball returns to the Watsco Center on Thursday. ...

The Canes will open the 2020 season with multiple top-5 preseason rankings for the first time since ...

Miami Athletics officially dedicated the Boich Family Scoreboard at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center Sa ...