Sazon Festival at the UC

Latin culture was brought to life last Tuesday at the University of Miami UC patio as Hispanic Heritage Month continued with the Sazon festival, a celebration complete with free Latin music and food provided by on campus organizations.

The Hispanic Heritage Month Committee, along with groups like the Alliance of Latin American Students and the Council of International Students and Organizations, prepared the Sazon festival.

“Hispanic Heritage Month is really important just for a showcase,” Senior Thalia Cordon, one of the chairs for the Sazon festival said. “We’re hoping students take the time to celebrate what it means to be Hispanic. That’s food, culture, music, dancing, and colors!”

Cordon and her Sazon staff of over 15 people have been planning this event since last semester.

They decorated the event with red and yellow balloons, ordered food from a Latin family restaurant, La Bamba, among other places, and hired the band Latin Beat to really set the mood with upbeat music that could be heard throughout the UC.

For the day the UC patio made a transformation and became the center of the party.

“We are all poor college students and we’re giving free food,” said Cordon laughing.

Students sprawled across the patio raved about the traditional Latin cuisine, which included croquettes and flan, although some shyly admitted that they had no idea what they were eating.

As the event continued a few couples even got up from their seats and began dancing to the festive music.

“This promotes diversity,” Freshman Parker Barnett said. “It’s really cool because I don’t think any other school would have something like this going on.”

Even though volunteers at the event admitted that the heat might have kept some students away, they were very happy with the turnout.

“This is really related to the Spanish culture in Miami,” UM Grad Student Hossein Tootoonchi said. “We have lots of communities here and you can see it.”

According to Cordon those communities aren’t limited to the Cuban culture. The event included volunteers from Salvadorian, Puerto Rican, Guatemalan, and Peruvian backgrounds.

Rebecca Lattanzio

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...