Major League Baseball needs salary caps

Fans, especially those of the New York Yankees, have tried to deny baseball’s obvious salary cap issues for years. With claims that “money doesn’t buy championships,” few have actually looked at the numbers.

Unlike most sports, baseball doesn’t have a hard cap. If you have the money, you can spend it; if not, then too bad. Entering the 2009 season, nine of baseball’s 30 teams had a payroll of over $100 million. Of the eight teams that will be participating in playoff baseball this year, six of them will have a payroll of at least $100 million.

On top of that, baseball’s top five teams (based on regular-season record) all have payrolls over $100 million. Last year was no different, with six teams topping the $100 million mark playing postseason ball.

This isn’t to say that a small-market team can’t be successful. Last year, the Tampa Bay Rays had baseball’s second-lowest salary, and still were American League champions. Unfortunately, teams like the Rays are more like aberrations in baseball. For teams with big bucks, winning has become commonplace.

Major League Baseball dropped the (fly) ball in not enforcing a hard cap, basically allowing teams to buy championships. So if the Yankees, baseball’s salary-cap king, win the World Series this year, it should come with a little asterisk, denoting their obvious monetary advantage. Until a hard cap is enforced, the rich will get richer… and better.

Michael Perchick is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism. He can be contacted at michaelperchick@yahoo.com.

Michael Perchick

Contributing Columnist

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...