Famed sexologist visits Stanford

Going into the evening, people seemed a little skeptical and even nervous.

People’s opinions varied on what to expect from something that had been advertised on boards decorated with condoms.

One group of girls said they were going in simply for the laughs, though some guys admitted to being a little curious as to what Dr. Marilyn Volker, a member of the American Board of Sexology, would say in a talk at Stanford Residential College last Wednesday.

Once inside, the awkward laughter only lasted until Volker started throwing out free condoms.

Questions that students had written as they entered were addressed, leading Volker to talk subjects ranging from fetishes to safe sex.

The doctor has been coming to speak at UM for the past 20 years.

She has already spoken at Hecht and plans to speak at Mahoney soon although she is unsure of the date.

Volker explains that coming into college, some students may never have had the opportunity to speak openly about sex or ask new questions.

“By having this dialogue with students, especially freshmen, we start a dialogue between peers that is beneficial to everyone,” she said.

She continued to explain that the most important knowledge for college students is how to protect themselves and then how to deal with problems that may still arise.

“It was just fun,” freshman Rebecca Davidson said afterward. “She was a good speaker.”

Freshman Patrick Rose acknowledged that it was informational as well as entertaining.

Pictures of herpes, HIV and genital warts certainly drew some shocked gasps and even a few people covering their eyes.

“It wasn’t anything we didn’t know before but just suddenly seeing it certainly wasn’t expected,” freshman Kira Richards said.

Gabby Gomez

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...