‘Capitalism’ anything but a love story

Michael Moore may just be the most polarizing figure in film today. While proudly liberal, he takes equal notice of the stupidity of both Republicans and Democrats in Washington in his new movie. Rather than advocate for a single political party, he advocates unabashedly for the average American, the little guy. Capitalism: A Love Story features the same outrageous tactics used in his previous films—this time attempting a citizen’s arrest on corporate executives and cordoning off Wall Street buildings with yellow caution tape—to great effect.

Moore takes a critical look at the ongoing financial crisis plaguing the country. He examines the origins of the crisis, which dates back decades, and features the stories of real people whose lives have been devastated by corporate greed.

One thing no one would ever accuse Moore of being is objective, and his distaste for capitalism is both vehement and obvious. The blame, according to Moore, lies with politicians on both sides of the partisan aisle. Members of the Clinton, Bush and Obama administrations are named as being perpetrators in what he calls a “financial coup d’etat.” Look for UM President Donna E. Shalala in a particularly unflattering cameo.

However, with every clip of bankers sucking the money out of the government comes an inspiring feature—from a group of low-income Miami residents who chose to take back their foreclosed-upon homes, to Chicago factory workers who chose to strike instead of accept their firings quietly.

As a director, Moore is a fan of ironic parallels, melodrama and histrionics, but with a subject matter as outrageously important as the corporate takeover of America, all three seem oddly fitting. At times devastating, sickening and uplifting, Capitalism: A Love Story may be the most affecting support of the idea that greed is anything but good.

Rating: 4/4 stars

Starring: Michael Moore, U.S. Congress

Directed By: Michael Moore

MPAA Rating: R for some language