‘Capitalism’ anything but a love story

Michael Moore may just be the most polarizing figure in film today. While proudly liberal, he takes equal notice of the stupidity of both Republicans and Democrats in Washington in his new movie. Rather than advocate for a single political party, he advocates unabashedly for the average American, the little guy. Capitalism: A Love Story features the same outrageous tactics used in his previous films—this time attempting a citizen’s arrest on corporate executives and cordoning off Wall Street buildings with yellow caution tape—to great effect.

Moore takes a critical look at the ongoing financial crisis plaguing the country. He examines the origins of the crisis, which dates back decades, and features the stories of real people whose lives have been devastated by corporate greed.

One thing no one would ever accuse Moore of being is objective, and his distaste for capitalism is both vehement and obvious. The blame, according to Moore, lies with politicians on both sides of the partisan aisle. Members of the Clinton, Bush and Obama administrations are named as being perpetrators in what he calls a “financial coup d’etat.” Look for UM President Donna E. Shalala in a particularly unflattering cameo.

However, with every clip of bankers sucking the money out of the government comes an inspiring feature—from a group of low-income Miami residents who chose to take back their foreclosed-upon homes, to Chicago factory workers who chose to strike instead of accept their firings quietly.

As a director, Moore is a fan of ironic parallels, melodrama and histrionics, but with a subject matter as outrageously important as the corporate takeover of America, all three seem oddly fitting. At times devastating, sickening and uplifting, Capitalism: A Love Story may be the most affecting support of the idea that greed is anything but good.

Rating: 4/4 stars

Starring: Michael Moore, U.S. Congress

Directed By: Michael Moore

MPAA Rating: R for some language

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...