Sushi Maki brings fishy flair to food court

Brittney Bomnin//Photo Editor Senior Erica McGill buys lunch at the new Sushi Maki located in the University Center Food Court. "Sushi Maki is so good. I had not been to the food court in two years but Sushi Maki made me want to come back," McGill said.

In the northeast corner of the Hurricane Food Court sits Sushi Maki, the newest innovation of the university’s restaurant services.

Introduced this fall as a replacement for Olo Sushi, the previous establishment for the past four years, Maki has students grabbing for chopsticks in bundles with its variety of Japanese dishes and high quality food.

“Honestly, I had fish from [Olo] last year and it almost turned me off sushi,” Sophomore Jillie Staffiera said. “The taste and quality that Maki offers is noticeably better. I’m in love again.”

Sushi Maki is at the forefront of sushi restaurants and seafood providers in South Florida; other locations include Miami International Airport and the prepared foods section of Whole Foods Market.

Dining services at UM came across Sushi Maki through student and faculty feedback on preferred restaurants and food. The survey feedback also included praise and complaints of the current selection of on-campus eateries.

Upon entering the food court, Maki may not seem very different from the previous enterprise, as it is in the same exact spot and offers some of the same food. But a closer look shows bright colors that adorn hanging signs calling out to UM’s sushi fanatics. The décor is sprinkled with images of sushi, tea, and other Japanese embellishments.

There are various sushi selections to pick from in the open fridge area, and more rolls can be made fresh upon request.

Lowell Resurreccion, a sous chef who has worked at Sushi Maki for four months, said that the variety of options is what makes people crave sushi.

“We have tuna, crab, eel, salmon, and shrimp all delivered fresh daily,” he said.

There are vegetable rolls as well as the traditional fish variety, and many side choices: edamame, steamed pork dumplings, miso tofu soup and tapioca Bubble Tea.

A side stand includes a dry variety of ethnic fare; Bhuja Indian snacks, Korean instant noodle bowls, shrimp cracker chips and mango gummy candies.

The Dragon Roll and Rainbow Roll are two of the most popular choices at Maki; they are priced at $9.50, but most options on the menu are well under that price. Maki’s dedication to providing healthy options, affordable prices, and above all, tasty food has made it an immediate hit with students.

“I like their sushi and the Bubble Tea is so refreshing. I’m really into the green tea,” Samantha Lin, a freshman, said.

The positive feedback is a relief to Mel Tenen, assistant vice president for Auxiliary Services. “Profits have increased 40 percent since last year,” he said.

For more on Sushi Maki and other South Florida locations, visit: http://www.sushimakirestaurants.com/.

Nicole Adlman

Contributing EDGE Writer

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...