Prejudiced views of India unfair

Travel agencies around the world make India out to be nothing more than a jungle, a vicious amalgamation of filth, mystery, over-population and poverty. Government agencies call India a third-world country, now a second-world country.

It is dangerous, volatile, violent and uncivil, a place of unrest and turmoil, where people look to pick a fight for no reason. According to some, sages, saints, mystics, elephants and tribal warriors roam the streets. India is also marketed as a spiritual destination, somewhere to go to if you want to attain the highest level of spirituality, nirvana.

In the western world, there exists this biased, prejudiced view of a land far, far, away, tucked in the eastern corners of the globe. Most people forget that India is one of the world’s fastest growing economic superpowers. Since gaining independence from the British Empire on Aug. 15, 1947, India has grown to a position of power in about 60 years.

India is moving beyond the old days of poverty, which were inflicted upon it not by choice, but by the subjugation of the British. Replaced by cars and motorbikes, elephants no longer roam the streets. The big cities around the country boast some of the world’s architectural masterpieces, both ancient and modern.

Unlike most countries that are bilingual or trilingual at most, India is a country that boasts more than 120 languages. Every state in the country is a land of value in itself, every religion respected, every person appreciated.

If I had a penny for every time someone asked me if elephants walk the streets of India, or if I’ve met Mahatma Gandhi, who passed away 41 years before I was born, I would be a rich man.

Sushanth Shyamsunder

Contributing Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...