Grand Archives offers mediocre indie pop

Grand Archives played a free in-store performance at the Ballard Sonic Boom, located in Seattle, WA, in support of their self-titled debut album that was released in 2008.

Modern outfit Grand Archives is a mix between the sounds of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, the Eagles, and the Beach Boys. The Seattle-based band’s songs are the kind of harmony-driven tracks often found in the catalogues of these classic bands and more recently, college darlings the Fleet Foxes. Throw in a shared affinity for sunny West Coast country twang and Grand Archives creates a solid mix of old and new.

Grand Archives formed in 2006 after guitarist Mat Brooke left indie rock group Band of Horses. Brooke picked up vocal duties on the band and was joined by bassist Jeff Montano, guitarist Curtis Hall, drummer Thomas Wright, and multi-instrumentalist Ron Lewis. Before the recording of their new album, Lewis left the band to join The Shins.

Their second record, Keep in Mind Frankenstein, is the typical lazy summer day album. This is epitomized on the melancholy, yet beautiful, “Siren Echo Valley (Part 1)” featuring a duet by lead singer Mat Brooke and Band of Horses member Sera Cahoone. The duo sings over a slow guitar arpeggio and what seems like a distorted handclap.

Unfortunately, many of the songs on the album fail to leave an impression and act only as filler. These songs feel like generic indie folk/pop and weigh down the album. Keep in Mind Frankenstein’s five best tracks would make a great EP, but as a whole it’s only an above average album.

2.5 out of 4 Stars

Producer: Ben Kersten

Label: Sub Pop

Release Date: 9/15/09

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been facinated with Japan and its culture. Partic ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

The University of Miami utilizes WeatherSTEM units on campus that continually scan atmospheric condi ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...

On Jan. 2, 2001, the Canes and Gators met for the first time in 13 years, renewing on of college foo ...