Grand Archives offers mediocre indie pop

Grand Archives played a free in-store performance at the Ballard Sonic Boom, located in Seattle, WA, in support of their self-titled debut album that was released in 2008.

Modern outfit Grand Archives is a mix between the sounds of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, the Eagles, and the Beach Boys. The Seattle-based band’s songs are the kind of harmony-driven tracks often found in the catalogues of these classic bands and more recently, college darlings the Fleet Foxes. Throw in a shared affinity for sunny West Coast country twang and Grand Archives creates a solid mix of old and new.

Grand Archives formed in 2006 after guitarist Mat Brooke left indie rock group Band of Horses. Brooke picked up vocal duties on the band and was joined by bassist Jeff Montano, guitarist Curtis Hall, drummer Thomas Wright, and multi-instrumentalist Ron Lewis. Before the recording of their new album, Lewis left the band to join The Shins.

Their second record, Keep in Mind Frankenstein, is the typical lazy summer day album. This is epitomized on the melancholy, yet beautiful, “Siren Echo Valley (Part 1)” featuring a duet by lead singer Mat Brooke and Band of Horses member Sera Cahoone. The duo sings over a slow guitar arpeggio and what seems like a distorted handclap.

Unfortunately, many of the songs on the album fail to leave an impression and act only as filler. These songs feel like generic indie folk/pop and weigh down the album. Keep in Mind Frankenstein’s five best tracks would make a great EP, but as a whole it’s only an above average album.

2.5 out of 4 Stars

Producer: Ben Kersten

Label: Sub Pop

Release Date: 9/15/09

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...