Fashion 4Word: Fall Trends

Looks from the 1960s and 1990s are back this fall, and students have taken notice. Sporting these trends in and out of the classroom, stylish undergrads choose key pieces from the past to create effortless, cool, modern outfits.

1960s Silhouettes

Take a hint from the television show Mad Men and show off your alluring silhouette. The 1960s look is flattering on any shape, with tailored pieces and clean lines. Gents can look sharp in suit coats and skinny ties, pairing the look with jeans to dress it down. Ladies can highlight their hourglass figure with cigarette pants, high-waisted pencil skirts, flirty blouses and structured dresses, complete with a fitted bodice and full skirt.

Plaid, Round Two

This season plaid is back with an edgier, ‘90s grunge vibe. The preppy styles of seasons past are still available in stores, but students on the cutting edge know that the look needs to be reworked to stay trendy. Girls style their fitted plaid shirts with cuffed shorts or skinny jeans. Guys can pair their plaid with khakis or destroyed denim pants. Roll up the shirt’s sleeves and throw on a pair of Converse sneakers to complete this modern take on 90’s grunge.

Tiny Floral Print

Another throwback to the 1990s, tiny floral print is a key component of fall fashion. Feminine and delicate, the prints can be found on skirts, dresses, knit tops, and blouses. Avoid looking like a kindergarten teacher by keeping the look trendy. Make sure skirts fall above the knee, and add a waist belt and wedges for extra flair.

Biker Jackets

Ladies can tap into their inner bad girls by wearing this season’s hottest trend: the biker jacket. Made from a variety of material ranging from terrycloth to leather, there is an option for everyone. Be sure they include edgy zippers, grommets and lots of attitude. A revival from the 1990s, this jacket will be a wardrobe staple when the temperature finally dips later in the semester.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...